Joelle Nsimire Chabwine
- Born 14.06.1975, mother of 2 children (boy 2006, girl 2017), Congolese (DR Congo)
- Country of residence: Switzerland (C/5-years residence permit)
- Address : Chemin de Beaulieu 6 ; 1752 Villars-sur-Glâne (Fribourg), Switzerland
- Telephone: 0041 78 944 3230 ; Private Email : email@example.com
GRADUATE STUDIES AND DIPLOMA
- 2000: Diplôme de Médecine, Chirurgie et Accouchement (Catholic University of Bukavu, DR Congo)
- 2013: Swiss Federal Diploma in Medicine (University of Lausanne, Federal exam)
POST-GRADUATE DIPLOMA AND SPECIALIZED CERTIFICATES
- Post-graduate diploma
- 2007-2013: Clinical Specialization in Neurology (FMH)
- 2008: Doctorate (PhD) in experimental Neurophysiology (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium): “Chloride handling in cultured neurons: the role of NKCC1 cotransporters”
- 2002: Master (MSc) in Medical Sciences (Katholieke Universiteit Leuven, Belgium): “Spectral integration in the inferior colliculus of the cat: measurement of binaural bandwidths”
- Post-graduate Certificates:
- 2013: Electroencephalography (Swiss Society of Clinical Electrophysiology)
- 2016: Quantitative Sensory Test Training (theory and practice), Mannheim University
- 2019: Noninvasive Brain Stimulation training (theory and practice), Neurolite Course
- 2020: Pain management specialist (Swiss Pain Society)
PROFESSIONAL APPOINTMENTS AND FUNCTIONS
- 2010: "Ingénieur de Recherche” (Senior Researcher) at Grenoble Institut Neuroscience (GIN), Institut National de la Santé et de la Recherche Médicale, INSERM) (France).
- 2011: “Cheffe de Clinique” (Junior Clinician) in Neurorehabilitation at Beau-Séjour Clinic (Hôpitaux Universitaires de Genève, HUG; Switzerland)
- 2011-2012: “Cheffe de Clinique” (Junior Clinician) in Neurology at Centre Hospitalier Universitaire Vaudois, CHUV ; Switzerland)
- 2012-2015: “Médecin-Adjoint” (Senior Clinician) in Neurology and Neurorehabilitation at Valais Hospital Sion and Sierre (Switzerland)
- 2014-ongoing: Scientific Collaborator (20è30%) in Neurology Unit, Department of Neuroscience and Movement Science, Medicine Section (University of Fribourg, UNIFR; Switzerland)
- 2016-2017: “Médecin-Adjoint” and “Médecin-Chef Adjoint” (Senior Clinician) (80%) in Neurorehabilitation at Berner Klinik Montana (Switzerland).
- 2017-ongoing: “Médecin-Adjoint” (Senior Clinician) (70%) in Neurorehabilitation and Neurology (Hôpitaux Fribourgeois (HFR)/Meyriez; Switzerland)
- July 2019-August 2020: Head of Neurorehabilitation unit HFR/Meyriez a.i.
- 2006: Maternity leave (first child)
- 2016-2017: 6 months pregnancy complications and maternity leave (second child)
CURRENT RESEARCH PROJECTS (PI)
- 2020-Ongoing: do survivors of COVID-related ARDS with ICUAW have a better functional outcome? a case series study with critical discussion of diagnosis criteria
- 2020-Ongoing: the PSYCOG study….
- 2018-Ongoing: A retrospective study of ischemic stroke prognosis using weekly recorded FIM score in early stationary neurorehabilitation
- 2015-Ongoing: Assessment of brain GABAergic EEG biomarkers in clinical and experimental cold-induced pain
- 2014-Ongoing: A review of anatomical and physiological concept of akinetic mutism
- 2013-Ongoing: Blood and urinary clusterin levels in patients with acute ischemic stroke (the BLOODCLUST study)
SCIENTIFIC PUBLICATIONS http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/?term=chabwine
- N. Chabwine and K. Mubagwa (2001), Mental health problems in a population without a previous modern psychiatric care system, Tropical Doctor, 31, 206-208.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2004), Long-lasting changes in GABA responsiveness in cultured neurons, Neuroscience Letters, 365: 69-72.
- N. Chabwine (2005), Differential diagnosis of spastic paraparesis relative to Konzo, Cassava Cyanide Diseases Network News, Issue 5:3-4.
- Mc Laughlin, M. et al. (2008) (second author), Comparison of bandwidths in the inferior colliculus and the auditory nerve II: Measurements using a temporally manipulated stimulus, Journal of Neurophysiology, 100 (4): 2312 - 2327.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2009), Differential contribution of Na-K-2Cl (NKCC1) to chloride handling in rat embryonic dorsal root ganglion neurons and motor neurons: the role of NKCC1 cotranporters, the Faseb Journal, 23(4): 1168 - 1176.
- N. Chabwine (2009), Cassava-derived cyanide poisoning in South-Kivu: Two possible consequences in addition to konzo, Cassava Cyanide Diseases Network News, Issue 13: 1- 2.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2011), Simultaneous Doppelgänger and limb amputation impression in right frontal opercular stroke, Journal of Neurology, Neurosurgery and Psychiatry, 82(11):1209-11.
- C. Masheka et al (2010) (last author), Possible association between diabetes mellitus, malnutrition and cassava-derived cyanogenic toxicity in Burhinyi (Democratic Republic of Congo, DRC), Toxicology Letters, 196S:S1–S352.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2011), Appearance of Konzo in South-Kivu, a wartorn area in the Democratic Republic of Congo, Food and Chemical Toxicology, 49:644-649.
- N. Chabwine and S. Vanden Eijnden (2011), A claim for caution in the use of promising bumetanide to treat neonatal seizures, Journal of Child Neurology, 26(5): 667.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2012), Highlights in Neurology 2011, Revue Médicale Suisse, 8:46-50.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2012), Progressive multifocal leucoencephalopathy in a patient with transitory lymphopenia (Neurology, 78:2000-2003).
- Bidingija Mabika, J. et al. (2012) (2nd author), Physiologie du corps humain normal, K. Mubagwa Eds, Presses Universitaires de Bukavu, Ed.
- N. Chabwine et al. (2014), Dysgeusia associated to myasthenia gravis: more than a coincidence? (Orphanet Journal of Rare Diseases, 9:50).
- N. Chabwine et al. (2015), NKCC1 downregulation induces hyperpolarizing shift of GABA responsiveness at near term fetal stages in rat cultured dorsal root ganglion neurons (BMC Neuroscience, 16:41. doi: 10.1186/s12868-015-0180-4).
- Luisier, V. et al. (2016) (last author), Management of varicella zoster virus-associated meningo-encephalitis: a case report (BMC Research Notes, 9:451).
- Aourz, N. et al. (2018) (3rd author), Identification of GSK-3 as a potential therapeutic entry point for epilepsy (ACS Chemical Neuroscience, doi: 10.1021/acschemneuro.8b00281)
- Delhasse, S. et al. (2019) (last author), Erratic movement disorders disclosing Graves’ disease and paralleling thyroid function but not auto-antibody levels (Journal of International Medical Research, doi: 10.1177/0300060518816873)
- El Tarhouni A.H. et al. (2020) (last author), The right thalamic ventroposterolateral nucleus seems to be determinant for macrosomatognosia: a case report (BMC Neurology 20:393. doi: 10.1186/s12883-020-01970-3).
- Teixeira, M: et al. (2020) (last author), Beta EEG oscillation is a potential GABAergic biomarker of chronic peripheral neuropathic pain (Revised manuscript received, under correction for publication in Frontiers in Neuroscience).
REVIEW, JURY, SCIENTIFIC AND ORGANIZING COMMITTEE CONFERENCES/CONGRESSES
- 2020: Brain Communications
- 2016: Natural Products Research
- 2016: Journal of Cerebral Blood Flow and Metabolism
- 2011: NeuroReport
- Scientific/organizing Committee, Jury (only post-graduate)
- 2019: “Les enjeux sanitaires de la toxicité du manioc au Sud-Kivu" (Bukavu, DRCongo) (workshop)
- 2016: QuadriMed Congress (Crans-Montana, Switzerland)
- 2012: IBRO-UNESCO Regional Teaching Workshop on Neuroinfections/neuroinflammation and Epilepsy (Yaoundé, Cameroun)
- 2011-2012: Member of the doctoral commission and jury of the thesis “Study of the etiology of neurolathyrism, a human neurodegenerative disease with nutritional causes” (Faculty of Medicine, University of Gent, Belgium).
LANGUAGES SKILLS (equivalent)
- French, Swahili and Lingala: mother languages;
- English: C2; German: B2; Shi dialect: B1
- Dutch: A1; Italian: A1
CURRENT SCIENTIFIC ORGANIZATIONS AND ASSOCIATIONS MEMBERSHIP
- FMH (Swiss Association of Medical Doctors) since 2013
- Swiss Society of Neurology (since 2014)
- Swiss Society of Clinical Electrophysiology (since 2014)
- International Association for Pain Studies (since 2018)
- Swiss Pain Society (since 2019)
- Fribourg Society of Medicine (since 2019); Vallis Society of Medicine (2013-2019)
- Swiss Society of Neurorehabilitation (since 2019)
- Voluntary activities
- 2001-Ongoing: visiting teacher at the Faculty of Medicine of the Catholic University of Bukavu (DRC)
- 2017-ongoing: singer at the Choeur Mixte St Pierre et Paul (Fribourg, Switzerland)
- 2020-ongoing: song animator at the Villars-sur-Glâne Perish (Fribourg, Switzerland)
- 2019-ongoing: large public science vulgarization and discussion (eg Forum Engelberg)
- Singing (classic, pop, soul, etc)
- Hip-Hop danse: Acro’Dance Club
- Non-scientific reading and writing
- Cinema and TV series
REFERENCES to be provided on request